RE: Oracle out the door

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <derek.rodner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>, <jhthomp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:08:25 -0400

Derek,

        Shameless plug indeed, but good product as I have tried using it
in the past.  The problem is that it comes with a license cost which in
some shops is the "blue screen of death" since it can be downloaded &
used directly from postgresql.org.  And even though EnterpriseDB has
done a very good job of porting Oracle functionality into PostgreSql,
it's not 100% transparent which means some re-engineering nonetheless.

        BTW: When I was using PostGreSql I had two real problems with it
that I believe have been fixed & maybe you can comment on the fixes.
The first was the need to "vacuum" the db regularly so that the
equivalent of the Oracle SCN would not wrap onto itself.  The second was
that all of the db files had to be on a single mount point so that your
database was limited to the size of a mount and if you ever got it to
100% used the db would crash, badly.

Dick Goulet / Capgemini
North America P&C / East Business Unit
Senior Oracle DBA / Hosting
Office: 508.573.1978 / Mobile: 508.742.5795 / www.capgemini.com
Fax: 508.229.2019 /  Email: richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
45 Bartlett St. / Marlborough, MA 01752

Together: the Collaborative Business Experience