Re: Oracle out the door

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:19:57 -0600

Forget the salesrep for questions like this.  Statements made by your
salesrep, even in writing, are completely meaningless.

Instead, refer to the Oracle License and Services Agreement.  Except for
those (now rare, I think) sites who have custom license agreements, this is
the definitive reference on the subject.  And it also contains language that
makes all statements from your salesrep null and void.

From the most recent OLSA V020408 (United States edition):

*Processor:* *Processor:* shall be defined as all processors where the
Oracle programs are installed and/or running. Programs licensed on processor
basis may be accessed by your internal users (including agents and
contractors) and by your third party users. For the purposes of counting the
number of processors which require licensing for a Sun UltraSPARC T1
processor with 4, 6 or 8 cores at 1.0 gigahertz or 8 cores at 1.2 gigahertz
for only those servers specified on the Sun Server Table which can be
accessed at http://oracle.com/contracts <http://www.oracle.com/contracts> ,
"n" cores shall be determined by multiplying the total number of cores by a
core processor licensing factor of .25. For the purposes of counting the
number of processors which require licensing for AMD and Intel multicore
chips, "n" cores shall be determined by multiplying the total number of
cores by a core processor licensing factor of .50. For the purposes of
counting the number of processors which require licensing for all hardware
platforms not otherwise specified in this section, a multicore chip with "n"
cores shall be determined by multiplying "n" cores by a core processor
licensing factor of .75. All cores on all multicore chips for each licensed
program for each core processor licensing factor listed above are to be
aggregated before multiplying by the appropriate core processor licensing
factor and all fractions of a number are to be rounded up to the next whole
number. When licensing Oracle programs with Standard Edition One or Standard
Edition in the product name, a processor is counted equivalent to an
occupied socket; however, *in the case of multi-chip modules, each chip in
the multi-chip module is counted as one occupied socket*.

I'm not certain about this (I don't read the OLSA frequently -- thank
heaven! -- and I certainly do not commit it to memory) but that last bit
about multi-chip carriers might actually be relatively new.

It certainly adds a new wrinkle to SE licensing that I had not noticed until
just now.  Probably a lot of IT professionals, few IT managers, and even
fewer lawyers, know the difference between a "chip" and a "carrier".  What's
more, how many people *know* when they are purchasing a system with
quad-core X86 "CPUs" whether the carriers in that system contain a single
chip with 4 cores, 2 chips with two cores each, or four single-core chips.
It makes little difference when purchasing the hardware (well, okay, it
might make more than you think), but it can make a *huge* difference to your
license costs and compliance.

In fact, it will also affect the eligibility of your hardware platform to
even run Standard Edition software.  Under the "multi-chip module" rule, I
expect the very few X86-based servers on the market today are actually
eligible to run Standard Edition One. Even a server with only a single CPU
socket (do such things still exist?) would be ineligible for SE-1 licensing
if Intel (or AMD) happens to manufacture a three- or four-chip "multi-chip
module" that can fit into that socket.

Ouch!  Now, before licensing Standard Edition, you need to identify the
exact CPU model number (and maybe even serial number) to determine exactly
how many physical "chips" are inside those "multi-core" processors...

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead