Re: How much RAM is to much

  • From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:46:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi Freek,

What you said is true for filesystems that do NOT allow "direct I/O" mount
options in their respective mount commands. But for those filesystems that do
(i.e. vxfs, jfs etc) support the relevant direct I/O mount options, the direct
I/O mount option has always (in my experience) been required in addition to
setting filesystemio_options to SETALL. Setting just the filesystemio_options
in
the init.ora (in those cases) did not create the desired result.

If you have observed the "lack of the mount option" in recent times on those
filesystems where direct I/O mount options ARE supported (i.e. vxfs, jfs etc),
please advise. There is always something to learn new each day :)

Cheers,

Gaja
 Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha,
Founder/Principal, DBPerfMan LLC
http://www.dbperfman.com
Phone - 001-(650)-743-6060
Co-author:Oracle Insights:Tales of the Oak Table -
Co-author:Oracle Performance Tuning 101 -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0072131454/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6130796-4625766

________________________________
From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
"andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx" <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>; Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
<gajav@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mount Options for Oracle files when used with NAS devices [ID 359515.1]

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator