Re: How much RAM is to much

  • From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:58:36 -0800 (PST)

Andrew,

There is nothing "off the wall" about what I said. Everyone SHOULD be using
direct I/O but you will be surprised how many we encounter that still don't.
You
are correct in your assertion that if the database is configured with ASM, that
direct I/O is automatically configured. But not everyone uses ASM. It is not a
question of whether someone deliberately tries to use buffered I/O, but the
issue of someone not configuring direct I/O in a database environment where ASM
is not the storage persistence technology.

Cheers,

Gaja
 Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha,
Founder/Principal, DBPerfMan LLC
http://www.dbperfman.com
Phone - 001-(650)-743-6060
Co-author:Oracle Insights:Tales of the Oak Table -
Co-author:Oracle Performance Tuning 101 -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0072131454/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6130796-4625766