Re: How much RAM is to much

  • From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx, RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:48:20 -0800 (PST)

Andrew et. al,

The percentage depends on whether or not direct I/O is configured and is
working
per specification. If you have direct I/O properly configured, in the big
picture,  the consumption of memory by the filesystem buffer cache will not
affect your memory consumption numbers. But if you do NOT have direct I/O
configured and depending on your operating system (Linux vs. Unix), the issue
then is what are the ceilings setup for the filesystem buffer cache's memory
consumption. The last time I checked there is no equivalent of "bufhwm"
(Solaris) or file_cache_max_pct (HP-UX) on Linux. Which means that if you don't
have direct I/O configured on Linux (which btw is not good practice), you can
be
pretty much guaranteed that up to 100% of configured memory can be utilized by
the OS for the filesystem buffer cache. There have been many customer cases in
the past few years, where the lack of direct I/O has caused significant
paging/swapping overhead. The lack of direct I/O will also increase "sys" CPU
utilization and causing unnecessary overhead and contention on the system. Not
at all worth it!

Bottom line - please enable direct I/O, make sure it is working (by performing
the relevant truss, strace etc) and then finalize the memory allocations for
your SGAs & PGAs.

Cheers,

Gaja
 Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha,
Founder/Principal, DBPerfMan LLC
http://www.dbperfman.com
Phone - 001-(650)-743-6060
Co-author:Oracle Insights:Tales of the Oak Table -
Co-author:Oracle Performance Tuning 101 -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0072131454/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6130796-4625766