Re: How much RAM is to much

  • From: kyle Hailey <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "D'Hooge Freek" <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 17:58:04 -0700

Testing on Solaris, I got direct I/O if either NFS mount was set
forcedirectio or Oracle had the parameter filesystemio_options=directio

The only case I got unix files system caching was when the mount was done
without forcedirectio and filesystemio_options were either none or asynch.

- Kyle
http://dboptimizer.com

PS used dtrace on solaris to watch the file system access to see whether the
query was going to disk or not and watching the number of physical reads
with autotrace in sqlplus. The query was definitely doing the same physical
reads in all cases and in all cases the disks were accessed except when the
NFS mount was done without forcedirectio and filesystemio_options were
either none or asynch. Query was doing
87129 consistent reads
77951 physical reads
Of course the response time of the query was a good indicator. The second
execution of the query with Unix caching was about 5 seconds, with direct
I/O and 32K resize/wsize on the NFS mount it was 60 seconds and with 1M
rsize/wsize on the NFS mounts it was 30 seconds. (Looks like the rsize/wsize
can have a big impact )
For this table, when cached in the buffer cache, it too 2 seconds, ie no
physical reads.