RE: Enterprise Manager Restricted Use License

  • From: "Pete Sharman" <pete.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <courtney.llamas@xxxxxxxxxx>, <christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Bobby Curtis'" <curtisbl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 01:29:35 +1000

Man, I take a day off from the list and you guys go crazy! ;)

This is your point of confusion – “we didn't point it out to them that this was
our EM server”. If LMS didn’t realize that, then their perspective is
perfectly reasonable (assuming that the license model is perfectly reasonable,
of course!). As others have pointed out, base licensing is free for the
OMS/OMR until you feel the need for HA. Of course, for some functionality
against TARGETS you will need specific pack licenses, but not for the OMS/OMR.

One other point – while you CAN use the same database for your RMAN catalog and
the OMR, I would not recommend that unless you’re short of hardware. The
usages of the two are completely different. Think of it in a similar manner
(though not to the same extent of course) as putting together an OLTP and a DW
database. You would tune them differently – exactly the same as you would for
the RMAN catalog and the OMR.

Pete

Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA

Phone: <tel:+61262924095> +61262924095 | | Fax: <fax:+61262925183>
+61262925183 | | Mobile: +61414443449

_____

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

_____