RE: Anyone with experience with MMOG and databases?

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ldutra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:46:21 -0400

>>I hardly can see a reason to choose Oracle

Wow, In one statement you negated Oracle to worthless software...impressive.
To make a claim like that you must have intimate knowledge of all databases and
all database features and options.
You should be a consultant...or work for Gartner.

In my experience there have been very few times when I had to tell my boss or
client Oracle that "Oracle can't to do that".

I did not have to say "Oracle can't to do that" when a client asked me to;
 - find and pull past SQL transactions
 - restore and recovery a database down to the second before error occurred
 - replicate data between to databases
 - have a synchronized hot failover database set up
 - free the database of gigabytes of data within seconds at each month with
over head
 - run the database from 2 nodes
 - audit end user db activity
 - rebuild/redefine and objects online
 - limit end user database resources
 - support (con)text searching
 - reference external object from with SQL code
I could go on, and on and on.

If you have none of these or any other similar requirements then I too can see
a reason to choose Oracle. I realize there is a market for MS-Access and Excel
spreadsheets too.

But you know what really sucks...choosing and implementing a product only later
to find a requirement that it can't do.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA