Re: Anyone with experience with MMOG and databases?

  • From: jungwolf <spatenau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:27:00 -0500

On 8/12/05, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)
<Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You keep saying that "Oracle is quite non-standard, I don't think it a good
> idea to develop a new system in Oracle."
>
> Non-standard to what?  Ansi?

I'm curious as well.  I know the World of Warcraft MMOG uses Oracle.
I don't know the implementation details but if it is like the Diablo
II servers then only certain actions require a committed transaction
in real-time.  Otherwise the servers keep game information in memory
(cache/in-memory database/whatever) and only periodically save
character information.  Ask the user community how many times a server
crash has resulted in the loss of that One Great Item...

> And advising people on this list *not to* develop anything new in Oracle is
> quite bizarre.  You do realize that this is an Oracle list, right?

On the other hand, just because we (the list) know hammers doesn't
mean all problems are nails.  I think it is perfectly valid to suggest
other tools when the application would be better served by them.

Steven