Re: Anyone with experience with MMOG and databases?

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tjambu_freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:36:08 -0500

> *Tony,*

Looking at a system that will be requiring 10,000+ simple writes per sec and
> 20,000+ semi simple reads per sec.

 Interesting problem area. Why would you need to write that much to
persistent storage (database)? My assumption is that you would just have
some shared server processes that have a shared memory area. You only need
to persist what must survive a server shutdown (or crash). In either case
you'll lose all your active players, and they can start again. If that is
not adequate, you might have some savepoints people could restart from. When
a player first logs in you'll need some information about them, perhaps
their preferences. My point is that slight compromises to the requirements
can vastly reduce the database and server requirements.
 Dennis Williams