[optimal] Re: The other side of the gripe from Denice Barsness

  • From: sandor ferenczy <sandorferenczy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:30:20 -0400

Wait, before you blame inattentive, absentee doctors on socialized medicine...

What Anton is talking about happens at major hospitals across the US
as well. By "donating" a half-day a week to the hospital, the doc gets
"professor" or "attending" or "xyz" on their business card, and are
allowed to print the name of the big hospital on their business card
as well.

It has nothing to do with socialized medicine, and everything to do
with ego/lack of respect for supporting roles in a medical practice.

Now, every day i see how a federal program to govern healthcare could
help (tremendously) the day-to-day flow of a clinic like the one i
work in. Countless staff hours are spent getting pre-certs for
insurances, fighting with different companies for payment for the same
procedures, etc. This federal governance (to ensure equal treatment)
would allow our patient from Philadelphia to be ensured the same care
as our patient coming from 3 minutes away in New Jersey, and the same
as our patient coming from 20 minutes away in Delaware. Huh. imagine
that, a health care system that would consider patient care, rather
than geographical location... You might call it Obamacare, i call it
sensible. Imagine if pharmaceutical companies were governed state to
state. We'd all roll over to Jersey to pick up our cheap liquor,
gasoline and prescription-less vicodin, because Pennsylvania and its
blue laws makes us pay more for booze and get a doctor's approval to
use narcotics... This is what happens with health insurance, except
Pennsylvanians dont have the option of purchasing New Jersey's
insurance.

The sky isnt falling, but healthcare (insurance) is broken, and we
should try to fix it.

-sandor

Sandor Ferenczy, CRA, OCTc

Ophthalmic Photographer