Re: reading books

  • From: Sharlene Wills <tenagra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:00:24 -0800 (PST)

Call me naive, folks, but I remember the first time I
came across a typo in a printed book (using the
Optacon, of course) I thought, at first, that I had
misread the word.  I went back over it several times
(even "scrubbing" as my Optacon teacher called it) but
the typo remained, so I finally concluded that books
in print have errors, too!  Wow!  What an eye-opener,
so to speak.  Now I deplore the slippage in both
brammar and spelling, and I really wonder if, as has
been projected in many SF stories, books might yet
become extinct and the spoken word take over again.
Oh, and my first book, read with my trusty Optacon,
was a treatise on Japanese tea ceremonies.  It was
fascinating, but I didn't realize that, to some
extent, at least, the Optacon can help you recognize
pictures, so I missed out on those.  Later, of course,
and, to this day, I even look at pictures with it and
find thatt, if a diagram or picture isn't too
complicated, I can get a good sense of its make-up.
Sharlene.