[optacon-l] Re: optacon research

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 20:12:16 -0600

Because the whole blindness technology, particularly the reading-related
devices niche is very small.  They have a line of OCR products and wouldn't
want to see their market share decrease, especially when software solutions
are less expensive to develop, sell at a lower price point than
hardware-based solutions, and because their volume is larger and base price
is less one doesn't want to deal with a competing hardware-based product.
The Optacon died due to insufficient demand because most people didn't want
to climb the training and practice curves.

Nick