[optacon-l] Available Optacons

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:40:14 -0500 (EST)

In approximately 2006 members of this list began an effort to preserve the
Optacon. Many unuser and non-working Optacons were located and refurbished
by our excellent Optacon repairers--Dave Godfrey in England, Nigel Herring
in Australia and Richard Oehm in the U.S. Leo Drell of the U.S. also
repairs Optacons. Richard Oehm has been selling refurbished Optacons at a
reasonable price including a warranty. You can contacct him at:
oehmelec@xxxxxxx
Phone: 408 971-6250 in the U.S.

List mebers have done a lot of outreach to locate Optacon users. We
created a survey to help us identify how the Optacon is used in these days
of computers and scanners. Please email me if you have not yet filled out
the survey and would like to.

We have a group of engineers and software experts who call themselves the
Optacon wizards. They have been at work on their own time at a possible
re-development of the Optacon which would read some of the more modern
displays and additional colors.

The Optacon is still the only device that reads print in real time without
re-interpreting it first. This feature is essential.

The Optacon repairers have fabricated a couple of the essential parts to
keep the current Optacons running such as a new version of the delicate
retina cable. During 2011 progress has been made on figuring out
technology for the more modern arrays. Hopefully, in 2012 we will come
even closer to a new Optacon. In the meantime we are still looking for
non-working or unused machines. If an Optacon can't be repaired it is used
for parts.

Happy New Year to all.
Catherine