[optacon-l] The Optacon

  • From: Robert Feinstein <harlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 02:25:53 -0500 (EST)

I just scanned some material I received, and the text seemed a little
disjointed.  I used the Optacon and discovered that some of the material
was being read out of order, probably because of many pictures.  The
Optacon, if one has the patience, really gives you a total accurate idea
of how a page is laid out and how the text intermingles with pictures.  It
is a totally awesome machine, and amazingly makes the index finger
function like an eye, so to speak.  Since I have gotten my scanner, I use
the Optacon to check, things, sort my mail, and help the scanner.  My
reading has actually improved.  The problem is that after reading for
about 5 minutes straight, my arm and hand get very stiff and I have to
stop.

I am truly grateful I had the will to learn this most amazing machine.  I
probably don't use it as well as many on the list, but have reached a
level that I am very happy with.  I sometimes compare my Optacon reading
with a person who has poor vision and has to read slowly and carefully.  I
like the concept of the index finger being transformed into an eye, so to
speak.

I wish all of you happy holidays, and a special greeting to Don who keeps
this list running.

Bob in NY