[opendtv] Re: "we'll forever be stuck with by going ATSC"

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:37:47 -0600

Barry Wilkins wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I also have a Panasonic DVD player with precision fine proportional
> zoom. The majority of DVDs (here anyway) are in widescreen, 2.35:1 not
> 16:9. I enlarge these and loose the sides. This fills the screen
> vertically and shows the image in perfect proportion. So I am using all
> the vertical pixels but loosing horizontal resolution/information. It
> doesn't show though! The picture remains amazingly good. 99.9% of the
> time the side image is immaterial and the added advantage is you see
> more detail in people's expressions etc. It is more realistic and
> certainly well worth the investment to ensure optimal use of an
> expensive display.
>
> If I were to do this on a 720p image I must be utilizing the screens
> resolution capability other than wasting side image which I would do
> anyway.

The result would not be HD, since you would have fewer
than a million pixels in the picture. Sure, there would be
a million pixels on the screen, but there would be fewer in
the image, since you threw away some of the pixels in the data.

On a 1024x1024 screen, from 1080i source, you could get a million
pixels on the screen by throwing away the sides of the picture, as
you do with the DVDs, and you could argue that you had an HD picture,
except for the Kell factor of the interlace original. If you did this
with a true 1080@30p source, then with a million pixels I guess you
could claim that it was indeed a true HD picture.

The problem with the 720p source on a 1024x1024 screen is that you
get, even with rescaling, at most 720 pixels vertically, and
at most 1024 pixels horizontally, which is less than a million.
It's not HD.

Doug McDonald