[opendtv] Re: "we'll forever be stuck with by going ATSC"

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:03:38 -0500

Tom McMahon wrote:

> You fail to factor which European (and other DVB)
> countries have started DTV and which haven't even
> started yet (thereby giving them far more options).

France, Italy, Spain, and Scandinavian countries are
introducing an SD service first. Others will want to
capitalize on the same low-cost STBs. In practice,
Euro DTV will have to introduce HD service as a
separate program stream.

> Your bitrate figures are in error.

I was just trying to be charitable to those saddled
with simulcasting for HD service.