[opendtv] Re: source programme quality

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:14:49 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> I am actually surprised by this. It does seem true that a
> good DVD at 480p can have as much detail as bad 1080i
> or 720p HD, though decent HD also exists, at least for
> slow moving scenes.
>
> But when you add the interlace factor of 576i I'm
> surprised the difference is not fairly obvious. Something
> seems wrong here and HD (sans low bit-rate artifacts)
> should seem obviously better than 576i.

One of us is misunderstranding what Barry said.

As I read it, he said that he CAN tell the difference between SD and HD, when
viewing with the HDMI interface. What he couldn't see was the improvement
between 1024 X 1024 and 1920 X 1080.

Here is the paragraph:

Barry Wilkins wrote:

> To complicate this issue is the fact that my screen is
> only 1024 x 1024 42" with no HDMI. I use the component
> inputs from the STB which down scales the image to 576i.
> Nevertheless, I can clearly differentiate between the
> better image quality on my screen and that of a 42" LCD
> connected directly via HDMI to the same type of STB
> running the same demo HD programme content.

So, I read that to say that there IS an improvement with the HDMI interface, in
screens so equipped. Because HDMI does not downconvert. In NZ, as of now, the
STBs downconvert everything on the component analog interfaces to 576i. That's
why only the HDMI setup would show improvement with HD content. However next
year, IIRC, the STBs will provide true HD on their component outputs.

> What I am getting at here is that in 3 weeks of looking,
> I have not been able to find a demonstration of HD
> source material received on a STB connected via HDMI to
> a 1080 x 1920 resolution LCD/plasma screen that improves
> over what I am seeing.

And this is where he compares 1024p to 1080p, in display resolution.

Assuming I read that correctly, it isn't a bit surprising to me (aside from the
close-in viewing I mentioned before). So, IMO, Barry should probably hang onto
his 42" display and wait for the newer STBs with the HD component outputs,
rather than go to a 1080p display. It's the most bang for the (NZ) buck.