[opendtv] source programme quality

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:53:24 +1200

Hi there,

I've been watching the new Freeview HD service here in (NZ) with
considerable interest and one thing strikes me as rather interesting and
that is the original source programme quality. I am curious to know how much
content on your ATSC digital platform is produced in true HD, i.e. at least
720p or better? How much is upscaled in resolution? Are they going to settle
on one Tx resolution for HD?

The situation here to start with is that we have a mix of SD at 576i, HD at
720p and HD at 1080i source content. This is all transmitted as either 720p
or 1080i via upscalers where needed.

I expect what I am about to state will be viewed as purely a subjective
statement but I still have to say that my observations so far are:

Some supposedly SD source material can look exceedingly good, i.e. better
than my best looking PAL SD dvd from my collection.

The HD source material at 1080i, i.e. Boston Legal for instance, is
extraordinarily good imagery. So is some Aussie HD content.

To complicate this issue is the fact that my screen is only 1024 x 1024 42"
with no HDMI. I use the component inputs from the STB which down scales the
image to 576i. Nevertheless, I can clearly differentiate between the better
image quality on my screen and that of a 42" LCD connected directly via HDMI
to the same type of STB running the same demo HD programme content.

What I am getting at here is that in 3 weeks of looking, I have not been
able to find a demonstration of HD source material received on a STB
connected via HDMI to a 1080 x 1920 resolution LCD/plasma screen that
improves over what I am seeing.(And I am delighted in what I see).
If and when I do see a significant difference from a better screen set-up I
shall be "over the moon" knowing I can make a difference by upgrading the
screen later..

Also, what HD I see is easily better than the quality of image viewed at any
of the local cinemas.
So what has been the general impression of the image quality of the best
ATSC content.
Are you all very impressed?
How close does it get to Blue Ray quality at 1080i?
What screen resolutions are you viewing this on?

Regards
Barry Wilkins