[opendtv] Re: source programme quality

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:09:28 -0400

Barry Wilkins wrote:

> There must be an awful lot of non HDMI plasmas out there in
> the US that people will be loath to get rid of before time
> just because of HDMI with HDCP. Do you get HD out of the
> component outputs of ATSC STBs?

The answer is yes, for all STBs sold in the past. They had HD out of
their component outputs, adjustable to either 1080i or 720p. However,
there are very few of those STBs still available. I think the only one
on shelves today is the relatively new Samsung DTB-H260F:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8102796&type=product&id=11
61734592183

But the STBs that get the media attention these days are those which
comply with the NTIA coupon program. Those are SD-only. Matter of fact,
I don't think any of them so far even have S-video outputs. It's just
composite video, stereo audio, or NTSC RF outputs.

I think the attitude of your retailers with respect to OTA HDTV is about
the same as here in the US. I assume they would prefer to get their
customers dependent on some pay service, yes?