[opendtv] Re: Win7 and DOS applications

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:20:48 -0600

John Shuttwrote:

> Vista has no obvious C:\ prompt either, but if you type "cmd" into the
> bottom "start search" bar of the start menu, you get a DOS window with
> C:\ prompt and can run full DOS commands such as tracert and ping.
>
> Perhaps that works in Windows 7 as well?

Sounds like Vista and Win7 work the same, in this regard.

I found the c:\ prompt (command line interface) in the
start\programs\accessories folder, John. In Win7, they only allow you to pin
this to the task bar, which works fine for me. But wouldn't it be much better
if I could create the shortcut, say, to put on the desktop? Ditto for the
Windows Update. That shortcut you can only pin to the desktop, not to the start
menu, not to the task bar. Why?

I have no idea where the "disc cleanup" and "disc defrag" applications reside.
I did find them, but only by going to help menu, searching on those topics, and
clicking on "click here." Then, I just dumbly pinned both of them to the task
bar.

It's a dumbing down of Windows. How to hide everything from the clueless users.
Don't they know that Apple has already cornered that segment of the market?