[opendtv] Re: Win7 and DOS applications

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 17:46:20 -0800

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For example, how do I write script files, like the old .bat or .cmd files, to
> do simple repetitive operations? Who knows?

Powershell for one.

> In a business-oriented OS like Windows, it's inexcusable for Microsoft to
> behave as Apple does in their products. I've got a load of handy dandy tools
> I've written over the years, that run on any previous version of Windows,
> that suddenly don't run over Win7. It's not just a matter of shelling out
> cash to buy some newer app. These are apps I wrote to do very specific tasks.
> Of course, I can always re-write them, but that's hardly a great solution.

You want security and a stable OS, then you have to lose the cruft.

> At least, since this is not Apple we're talking about, some enterprising
> third parties will no doubt close the gap (like DOSbox). And, with luck,
> Microsoft itself might come to their senses.

Actually DOSBox came from the Unix scene. It was originally intended
to allow those of us without windows/dos to emulate the environment so
that we could run games like King's Quest etc, IIRC.

Cheers
Kon