[opendtv] Re: Win7 and DOS applications

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 15:27:43 -0800

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Albert Manfredi
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> For example, how do I write script files, like the old .bat or .cmd
>>> files, to do simple repetitive operations? Who knows?
>>
>> Powershell for one.
>
> Right you are, Kon. The problem was not that .cmd or .bat files wouldn't run,
> the problem is only that Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, took away the
> option of running these from a Windows shortcut. So I had this "flash of
> genius": do it the old fashioned way. Run the batch file like you did back in
> the DOS days. Run it from the command line input, using the keyboard. And it
> worked. How unnecessarily archaic.

They didn't. Start/Run "Shell:user pinned", open the 'taskbar'
subfolder, drop your .bat shortcuts in there and they will appear on
the taskbar. The slow and painful way is to Start/Run cmd.exe, right
click it's icon on the taskbar, select 'pin to taskbar', then edit
it's properties and change the run line to cmd.exe /c yourfile.bat
(and change the icon and name as you see fit).

Cheers
Kon