[opendtv] Win7 and DOS applications

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:05:37 -0600

Dale Kelly wrote:

> Win 7 also has such a Cmd prompt feature. It opens a DOS type of
> window at the C: prompt.

Sure, it does have the so-called "command line" interface. However, nice as
that is to have, you can't use it flexibly as you could before.

For example, how do I write script files, like the old .bat or .cmd files, to
do simple repetitive operations? Who knows?

In a business-oriented OS like Windows, it's inexcusable for Microsoft to
behave as Apple does in their products. I've got a load of handy dandy tools
I've written over the years, that run on any previous version of Windows, that
suddenly don't run over Win7. It's not just a matter of shelling out cash to
buy some newer app. These are apps I wrote to do very specific tasks. Of
course, I can always re-write them, but that's hardly a great solution.

I've read some online comments about this issue. Supposedly, Microsoft
"determined" that there was "no interest" in this, from comments their read on
blogs. I can't imagine a lamer excuse than that.

At least, since this is not Apple we're talking about, some enterprising third
parties will no doubt close the gap (like DOSbox). And, with luck, Microsoft
itself might come to their senses.