[opendtv] Re: WiFi Supplanting Broadcasting? Get Real!

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:17:13 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Wi-Fi is just a wedge that has gotten the ball rolling for
> wireless. I
> expect that in five years 50 to 100 Mbps wireless connections will be
> common in many homes in major cities.

Come now. First of all, the 50 to 100 Mb/s are raw bit rates. The
two-way MAC costs you at least half of that bit rate, making spectral
efficiency much less than it is for DVB or ATSC.

Secondly, the higher bit rates of 802.11a or 802.11g come at the
price of range. So any purported 100 meter range is cut in less
than half.

But more to the point, TV has always had a wireless element. Why
should we suddenly "rediscover" this ancient fact, just because
other applications also implemented wireless, at long last? There
are better ways of making wireless TV better than it has been than
to force-fit an inappropriate wireless protocol on TV.