[opendtv] Re: WiFi Supplanting Broadcasting? Get Real!

  • From: "Bob Miller" <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:49:23 -0400

I think John is right. The short term mind set of cable, satellite and the
telcos doesn't seem to allow them to consider that they may have competition
from others. In this case Verizon is suggested but I think they all seem to
have the same mind set.

In the mean time someone else could quickly build a new wireless network
that competes with them all but without the union and debt problems the
current monopolies have.

It is sort of hard to canabalize your self when there isn't any such
competition yet. When it comes I think the competition has an edge. And at
that time I think I will be hard for the current monopolies to compete. For
example if an ISP were to decide to compete seriously and was at all
sucessful it could create a firestorm of competition from a lot of small
ISP's very quickly.(over the next five years vor example which is very
quickly for a telco or cable company).

Of course they could use the same wireless tech I suggest but as we see with
a very reasonable suggestion that they include fiber with any new coax, they
are not doing it. They won't do it till someone is half way through with
their lunch IMO.