[opendtv] Re: WiFi Supplanting Broadcasting? Get Real!

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:05:19 -0400

>But more to the point, TV has always had a wireless element. Why
>should we suddenly "rediscover" this ancient fact, just because
>other applications also implemented wireless, at long last? There
>are better ways of making wireless TV better than it has been than
>to force-fit an inappropriate wireless protocol on TV.

Phones have historically had a wired element. Why the huge shift to wireless?

The reality is that there are multiple markets. For fixed receivers
in homes, one can argue that it is much more efficient to deliver
content via wires. But DBS is proving to be a viable competitor to
cable, and the telcos still can't figure out how to deliver content.

The important point in Bert's statement is that the real value of
using spectrum for TV broadcasting is to serve un-tethered devices.
This does not mean that it cannot ALSO serve fixed receivers,
however, it is the notion that the TV spectrum should be used ONLY to
serve fixed receivers - AKA ATSC - that is antiquated.

As I said in an earlier post, WiFi is not a broadcast infrastructure,
although it seems that it can peacefully co-exist in the TV bands. In
fact, Broadcasters would be well advised to jump on this opportunity
so that they can continue to broadcast content, while offering a
complementary two-way network to handle the back channel commerce
requirements.