[opendtv] Which Modulation Would You Choose on a really bad day?

  • From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:27:20 -0400

It might be useful to restate why, in my official capacity, I ever even
cared about DTV Modulation.  For me and my organization it was simple - when
you need to get data bits to the American public in times of crisis, which
modulation system would yield the best balance of signal receivability,
commercial product viability, and data rate.  The largest reason I became a
supporter of the DVB version of COFDM was the fact that all receivers had
the ability to accept all defined transmission modes.  So for routine daily
business, markets could maximize data rate to deliver HDTV and one or two
sub channels.  When the community (or Nation) was having a bad day, the
transmitter sites could seamlessly switch into the lower data rate, but very
robust transmission mode, allowing signals to punch through, even in the
face of poor reception conditions (like major weather events).  This ability
to have a robust mode, to support mobile and emergency communications needs,
was never even considered by the 8VSB crowd.

So my question remains today, as it did nearly nine years ago now - will
8VSB support the communications needs of our citizens when they need it
most.  If I can not receive 8VSB today, with a newest generation not so
miracle chip, when I live only 20 miles from the transmitters, what will
happen on a worst possible day, when people are hiding in their basements?
I had to hide in my basement when a tornado passed within 1 mile of my
house, and my wife and I watched the progress of the tornado on my local
news station, seeing the radar, using a battery capable TV set, using its
built in whip antenna.  We got an acceptable analog picture, even in the
basement.

8VSB does NOT replicate the receivability of NTSC.  Until it does, it
remains the wrong choice for the NTSC replacement.  The only question
remaining in my mind is, who is going to have to clean up the mess after the
analog switch over, when everyone starts discovering the hard way that 8VSB
can not be received by simple indoor antennas in challenging but realistic
echo environments.  God help the poor soles working on the TV station
switchboards in the days after switchover.  I got started in the TV business
34 years ago when I manned the night switchboard at my home town NBC
affiliate station.  If we went off the air, my evening was a living hell.
We actually would lock the doors at night because we had had irate viewers
drive by the station to cuss out out.

Here is the true best question to ask all of those on this list - if their
families lives depended on receiving information (or having their fire
department receive information) using DTV transmission facilities, which
modulation would you pick - 8VSB which works poorly when it works at all, or
a flexible modulation standard that can be tuned to punch through the worst
conditions to be received my moving vehicles moving at speed on a Las Vegas
highway (any of you remember that NAB experience)?

Enough for now.  Justice will out when analog is cut off.  Let's see who is
standing at the end of the game, not just in the middle of the game.

Stephen