[opendtv] Re: Which Modulation Would You Choose on a really bad day?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:11:15 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

So my question remains today, as it did nearly nine years ago now - will
8VSB support the communications needs of our citizens when they need it
most.  If I can not receive 8VSB today, with a newest generation not so
miracle chip, when I live only 20 miles from the transmitters, what will
happen on a worst possible day, when people are hiding in their basements?
I had to hide in my basement when a tornado passed within 1 mile of my
house, and my wife and I watched the progress of the tornado on my local
news station, seeing the radar, using a battery capable TV set, using its
built in whip antenna.  We got an acceptable analog picture, even in the
basement.

Let's hope 8-VSB is receivable. The Department of Homeland Security and FEMA has bet our safety on it.

http://www.apts.org/news/deas.cfm