[opendtv] Re: Which Modulation Would You Choose on a really bad day?

  • From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 10:13:09 -0400

Ian,

From this description below, can I assume that organizations here in the USA
could purchase Australian DVB-T receivers, and enlightened broadcasters that
wanted to test COFDM receipt ion characteristics, doing real world tests,
with real world receivers, could perform such tests?  As I understand the
exciter function in a digital transmitter, a broadcaster could change the
modulation type (8VSB or COFDM) with a simple component swap-out.

Back in 2001, when a coalition of the willing jointly sponsored some tests
for COFDM data transmissions in adverse environments, a difficult problem
was (at the time) getting consumer grade DVB-T receivers that would work
with 6MHz signals.  We found early production models and raced them into
service, but they did not do HD.

It sounds like all of the species arguments about DVB-T receivers not doing
HD, not doing 6MHz could be laid to rest

One of the most enlightened compromises proposed at the height of the
earliest and ugliest days of 8VSB roll out, was to have dual modulation,
multi-format receivers.  If a receiver was going to do 8VSB OTA and 16 VSB
(?) over cable, building an integrated receiver that added COFDM was
straight forward.  Given the mass production scale of DVB-T receivers now,
such a design would have been an insurance policy for the Nation - we people
come to their senses and realize how difficult it is to receive 8VSB in
urban environments, a different modulation system could be switched on.

Does anyone know of a combo receiver that does 6, 7, 8 MHz, does ATSC and
DVB-T, does HD and down converted SD?

What would be fascinating is to see what such a receiver would cost in mass
numbers.  Maybe the USA subsidized receivers should have such an ALL MODE
receiver capability - we buy a little insurance with our Tax dollars.

Stephen