[opendtv] Re: Which Modulation Would You Choose on a really bad day?

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:00:26 -0400

The Government forced 8-VSB in the US and the US government did all it
could to force 8-VSB in Taiwan, Australia, Brazil, Argentina, Japan
and China.

Mexico, Canada and even S. Korea would not have gone with 8-VSB if the
US had not. Canada and Mexico because of the border issue and Korea
because of LG.

Taiwan's government was forced by broadcasters their to switch or, as
John would say, allow, DVB-T as an option to 8-VSB. Broadcasters
picked DVB-T just as broadcasters are now choosing the OFDM option
over the VSB option in China.

One country really choose 8-VSB and that was the US. Canadadian
broadcasters I talked to would have gone with DVB-T if they could.
Canadian government officials I talked to told me there was no choice.
Korean broadcasters held out for DVB-T for years refusing to broadcast
with 8-VSB.

Most countries that choose other modulations did so with no oppostion
from anyone except the US FCC, Congress and CEA. When there was any
fuss at all in any other country it was about the choice between
competing COFDM modulations.

Except for China where I can't figure it out. One University went for
VSB, OK it was an advanced version, but I would like to know what
other parties might have had a hand in their initila decision and
continuing arder.

Doesn't matter the market will sort it out. Gonna love it.

That said the US would be far better off with that VSB modulation
being rejected by China.

The US now has a modulation, an advanced version of which is being
rejected by China. That is market reality. It won't go away. Hopefully
the US 8-VSB will.

Bob Miller

On 9/22/06, Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John Willkie wrote:
> That's -- depending on how you count -- four or five ATSC countries.  With
the exception of S. Korea and Taiwan, they're also countries where the government
doesn't control most (or everything) in media.

> not a mere coincidence, I'd say.

The government controls most of the media in Australia?  the UK?
Germany?  Spain?

TTFN,
Mark