[opendtv] Re: Which Modulation Would You Choose on a really bad day?

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:47:39 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

In Australia, no, at least in recent decades.  It's laughable for you to even
ask that in the U.K., since the licence fee that funds the Beeb domestically is
about the roughest form of government media control one can imagine save for
having performers with loaded guns pointed at them from off-camera.  The
licence fee distorts the media marketplace there by taking the first dollar and
hence limiting what people can pay for commercial media.  There are more
independent sources of terrestrial and satellite media in Mexico than in the
U.K.

In the other countries, yes, if not currently, the "tradition" of private media
isn't yet a teenager.  Brazil has a long tradition of free media, Argentina
much less so.

The lands operate many of the stations networks in Germany.  (ARD, ZDF, etc)
That's what we would call "states" and they certainly are arms of the German
state.  Indeed, Germany has a weak federal government and strong lands.