[opendtv] Re: Transition report

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 07:44:03 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

> Today on WPVI's website is a story [preceeded by the obligatory
> commercial] that the FCC has acknowledged problems with their
> calculations for digital TV transmit power requirements.
>
> Also for the first time WPVI shows a picture of a VHF 'rabbit ear'
> antenna they indicate is needed to receive their digital CH 6 signal.
>
> http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/channel?section=news/consumer&id=5755549
>
> When GB changed over to PAL in 1965-67 they eventually dropped all VHF
> band transmissions in favor of UHF. Too bad the FCC didn't take that
> as a hint when transitioning to digital here.

They mention the rabbit ears must be fully extended for VHF.  I have a
channel 9 NBC local station that's fairly low power and hard to get.
What if I wanted to make an indoor antenna optimized just for the
channel 9 frequency.  Anybody know of a good web page showing me how to
quickly calculate how to do this?

- Tom