[opendtv] Re: Transition report

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:36:57 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 The simple truth is, ABC7 and CBS9, and NBC11
and CBS13 in Baltimore, have decided that moving back to VHF, and
reducing their power and signal margin rather dramatically, was a good
decision. It was not. They are finding out now.

Well that's certainly it. Lots of ex-viewers of CH6 in Philly are calling and emailing the station complaining a lot.

But I'm far from alone in not being able to receive Ch 6 with an outdoor all band antenna. Lots of folks with outdoor antennas in this area can't get it.

CH-6 is the only VHF DTV channel in the area and the only one difficult or impossible to receive if you live more than 15 miles from the Roxboro tower.

Also read a note on the 'Philliesphans.com' blog today that CH 6 may petition the FCC for a higher power than their presently assigned 7.56KW ERP. Apparently they are getting "too many" complaints about no or poor digital reception.

Not too good for the leading ABC O&O station in the #4 market.
How much can they NOW charge for a commercial minute?

This situation stems from the fact that during the last 10 years, all the local Philly stations were broadcasting digitally on UHF channels.

Over that period of time people in the area bought indoor and outdoor UHF antennas for their new digital-capable boxes and TVs, but got thrown a real curveball when suddenly on Friday Ch 6 disappeared from view.

So as for consumers who thought they were ready for DTV---and through out the many WPVI *digital TV tests* over the last year---everybody who was tuned to 6.1 on RF Ch 64 'passed' each and every test. ON RF64!!!!

But Friday when the switch was thrown, both analog 6 and temporary RF 64 were shut off permanently to be replaced by digital RF Ch 6.

*Few if any consumers were ready* for that!
Not a word over the air or on their website that this would happen.

There was no announcement on WPVI anytime in the last year explaining
that this would be the course of events. The ONLY subtle HINTS began three days before the changeover.

CH 6 began running spots telling people they would need to *re-scan* their set top boxes and TVs. No other explanations at all. Nada, nyet, Nichtsvar.

This is unconscionable behavior towards consumers for an O&O station in the Fourth Market.

TECHNICALITIES:

The formula used by the FCC to calculate the digital power needed by VHF stations is also being called into question. The power this formula calculated for WPVI is 7.56 Kilowatts. Their analog power was 74.1 Kilowatts. That's almost a 10:1 reduction in power for the same antenna at the same 332 Meters HAAT..

But wait, there's more as Bert has written...
Digital stations in the Mid Atlantic region that have opted to remain on their original VHF channels include ABC 7 and CBS 9 in Washington, DC and NBC 11 and CBS 13 in Baltimore.

All are suffering significant loss of viewership, apparently because the FCC's power formula has a flaw.

So, I just ordered a Ten element Lo-Band VHF Yagi with a 75 Ohm 'F' connector output to mount about 36 feet above ground and hopefully
regain the Ch 6 signal.

If you try to tell me I'm wasting $89 on an antenna when I could just go with cable or dish or directv, I'll reply that:

My antenna is a one time investment whereas all the other sources that charge me to watch the same program and 'pay twice' for the commercials --- are all relentlessly ongoing costs every month.

Nor do I like any of the programs I *have to purchase* to get the ones I want. Just not willing to be blackmailed that way.

Still the second assistant curmudgeon.

Cliff