[opendtv] Re: Transition report

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:50:02 -0400

gsds wrote:

> The Zenith DTT900 (and its twin the Insignia model
> 'I don't have it in front of me') is the only STB
> that will allow someone to manually put in a specific
> frequency without scanning. This can be done even if
> the input is not connected. It remembers. I have
> tested, to date, nearly 20 different STB's. If
> someone has experience with another STB with this
> feature, please post the brand, as this is one of the
> most useful feature I have found.

The old 3rd gen Accurian and Digital Stream STBs have two useful features: (1)
you can dial in the real frequency channel manually, and (2) you can do an "add
only" partial rescan.

If you dial in the real frequency channel, though, you are limited to the -1
subchannel, and the station will not be added to the list of stations. You need
to do the partial rescan, at least, to have it added to the list.

The Philips 3575H/37 also allows manually entering the real channel. That works
perfectly, for all subchannels, but it is not retained. So you have to rescan,
and there is no partial rescan.

My LG TV allows one to manually add stations to the list. You go to the manual
scan menu, and it allows you to scroll up and down the whole list of channels.
This is where the signal strength monitor is too. So if you find a new channel,
you can manually add it to the list.

So in my experience with these 4 receivers, all of the receivers allow some
sort of way to access new channels without having to rescan completely.