[opendtv] Re: The Potential of OTA DTV

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:01:39 -0400

Kon Wilms wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 16:41 -0700, dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>When I say "The potential of OTA DTV", part of that is considering AVC and
>>VC-1 encoding.  There is a lot of potential in 19.4Mb/s over 24 hours a
>>day!  How media is sent, what is sent with it, and even the delivery models
>>can change.  Heck, even the timeline of delivery can change!  If you are
>>sending VC-1 or AVC encoded material, that is close to 10x faster than real
>>time.  Again, I am saying POTENTIAL and not REALIZED.
>>

>You must have missed iBlast. http://www.iblast.com/why.php3 . I think
>there is still equipment at one of the LV stations. Heck, KLVX has some
>datacasting equipment last time I checked.
>

>>Please forgive me if all this is all immature rambling about the future of
>>media.  I am only working through this so that I can build a facility that
>>will be able to deliver media that people will actually receive AND enjoy.
>>

>Future past, perhaps? ;-) It is interesting though how this particular
>niche seems to re-invigorate itself every 4 or so years. (MyTV...
>Starburst... Win9x sidebar+MFTP... Clevercast... Cyberstar... Geocast...
>DotCast... iBlast... ).
>
>Its all about what content you have - the technical delivery aspects are
>moot and quickly forgotten.
>
>Cheers
>Kon

ALL DOA RIP Thanks to 8-VSB, Viacel Non starter because of 8-VSB.
Reasons, cost of receivers, no mobile or portable capability and to many
problems with fixed reception.

Only hope is for decent fixed reception with magic as yet to be produced
5th gen receivers.

Content has never been a problem. Technical aspects have been all.

Bob Miller