[opendtv] Re: The Potential of OTA DTV

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:35:58 -0700

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 16:41 -0700, dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> When I say "The potential of OTA DTV", part of that is considering AVC and
> VC-1 encoding.  There is a lot of potential in 19.4Mb/s over 24 hours a
> day!  How media is sent, what is sent with it, and even the delivery models
> can change.  Heck, even the timeline of delivery can change!  If you are
> sending VC-1 or AVC encoded material, that is close to 10x faster than real
> time.  Again, I am saying POTENTIAL and not REALIZED.

You must have missed iBlast. http://www.iblast.com/why.php3 . I think
there is still equipment at one of the LV stations. Heck, KLVX has some
datacasting equipment last time I checked.

> Please forgive me if all this is all immature rambling about the future of
> media.  I am only working through this so that I can build a facility that
> will be able to deliver media that people will actually receive AND enjoy.

Future past, perhaps? ;-) It is interesting though how this particular
niche seems to re-invigorate itself every 4 or so years. (MyTV...
Starburst... Win9x sidebar+MFTP... Clevercast... Cyberstar... Geocast...
DotCast... iBlast... ).

Its all about what content you have - the technical delivery aspects are
moot and quickly forgotten.

Cheers
Kon