[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Use for Broadcasting

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:43:49 -0800

So, you are ALSO abusing the term "broadcasting" since the 5% of revenues
doesn't apply to audio/visual (or advertiser-supported) services sent in the
clear.

And, if you would rather start from scratch, you are destined to fail, but
then, you can't start, can you?

Wow, impressive, "up to 480", when the whole world is looking at "bigger
things."  I'd say that's not an attribute, but a limitation.

"Since very little of what a broadcaster delivers needs to be or is
real-time" shows a abject ignorance of the real situation.  When there is a
need for real-time (or a requirement for it), they can always go live.  If
you are showing movies, nrt is okay, but stations with news generate many
hours a day of LIVE news, and that is required to be live (or viewers need
to be notified that it isn't.)

I'd say that essentially zero content of interest to mobile audiences (which
will always be small), needs to be real-time, so why are you aiming for a
live but not live infrastructure?  They could get almost all the content
they need in an overnight download.  Licensing local news from the
broadcaster will be impossible to do, and doing it yourself just won't work,
unless you have plenty of money to spend.

Only po' folk will be watching up to 480 lines in their living rooms.  Have
fun with that market.  Try to force pay services on them, and you get
class-action lawsuits, etc.

People just have very few non-working, non-driving, non-home leisure time to
watch TV, and when they do, they are more likely to use their phones for
their intended purpose: not to watch tv.  Or, are you talking about a second
hand-held device?

Bob, this serial cluelessness of yours is starting to grate again.

John Willkie

  _____