[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Use for Broadcasting

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:46:40 -0500

At 6:45 PM -0800 2/25/08, Dan wrote:
--- "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 But after analog shutoff, if anyone is truly
 interested in BROADCASTING,
 why wouldn't they apply for one of the true
 broadcast frequency bands,
 and guarantee themselves a set of compatible
 receivers already in
 consumer hands? In other words, isn't there going to
 be room in Channels
 2-51, after analog shutoff, for anyone interested in
 broadcasting?

Are there a lot of unused channels in the top markets,
available for the asking? If not, then buying spectrum
at auction is an alternative to buying an existing
broadcaster.

It will not be easy to find vacant channels in the compacted broadcast spectrum. We still need the white spaces to protect digital broadcasts, and we are squeezing existing broadcasters into a smaller container - limited use of VHF and no use of the 700-800 MHz spectrum.

So I would not expect the FCC to grant many new licenses in the remaining spectrum.