[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Use for Broadcasting

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 01:19:08 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 3:37 PM -0500 2/27/08, Cliff Benham wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:
And what is the source of your 480P content?

The source for all the signals, 480i composite, 480i/YC, 480p component,
and 1080i HDMI is the Philips DVDR3575H/37 HDD-DVD Player-Recorder with
digital Tuner.

Comparisons between the 4 signal types were made while watching several
HD broadcasts over the week or two.

So your assessment is based on downsampled HD broadcasts via the 480P output of the Phillips unit?

I cannot challenge your conclusions as I have never seen this unit working, nor do I have any idea how they are doing the downsampling. Is there a significant difference between the 480i and 480p?

There is a somewhat noticable improvement in detail, but the major difference between the 480i and 480p outputs is the lack of visible aliasing. Aliasing is far more distracting and annoying to me.

I want to try this same comparison with an HD-DVD player playing an HD DVD as the source to see if there are noticable differences between the HD DVD source and the HDTV program received by the Philips.

[I have noticed the aliasing problem is more visible when upconverting from 480i than when downconverting from 1080i to 480p. When playing any DVD in in a 1080i capable player, the 1080i signal is available only from the HDMI output, and the component output is automatically down rezed to 480p with a screen popup notice that explains the maker of the disk requires this mode of operation.]