[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Use for Broadcasting

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:10:50 -0500

I guess nothing is proven by this but it looks like the FCC policy of limiting broadcast power is thus crippling the spectrum auction proceeds. If Congress really cares about all those $$$'s then they should maybe ask some serious questions.

- Tom

Bob Miller wrote:
Back in 2000 we were advocating using the Upper 700 MHz spectrum, Channels 60 to 69 minus 4 set aside for first responders, for broadcasting using DVB-T. That was before the FCC decided to also auction off the Lower 700 MHz channels of 52 to 59 and specifically allow "other modulations", higher power (50 kW) and broadcasting on those channels. We thought we could operate at the lower, I believe, limits of 5 kW on channels 60 to 69 and we thought that we could also do broadcasting since it was not expressly forbidden.

That 2000 auction didn't happen. Similar auctions but for the much higher 1900 to 2200 MHz bands did take place in the UK and Germany in 2000. In the US the FCC did auction off 54, 55 and 59 in a political compromise in Auctions 44 and 49.

And now in Auction 73 the FCC professed that they wanted to make it possible for the greatest number of uses for the auctioned spectrum while lowering the broadcast power level to 5 kW for channels 52, 53, 57 and 58 and leaving it at 50 kW for only channel 56. Seems they might have been trying to discourage broadcasting.

Now in the Europe they are going to demonstrate with the plan, I would assume, to use the spectrum, 1900 to 2200 MHz they auctioned in 2000 for mobile DTV.

How strange that spectrum that was auctioned for £22.5bn or $44.24 Billion with the expectation of using it for cellular is now possibly going to be used for mobile DTV. It has lain fallow for the last seven years.

While here in the US spectrum much better suited for broadcasting, 700 MHZ, is re-configured by the FCC to forestall such use as broadcasting and encourage cellular two way data and is ostensibly being purchased for just such a use, is only fetching maybe $22 Billion dollars in Auction 73/76.

And the UK auction was for spectrum that covered maybe 50 million people and was seven years ago. Factoring in the difference in population, factor of six, inflation since 2000, obviously better 700 MHz spectrum for cellular or broadcast and the drop in the dollar (already factored into the $44.24 Billion figure) and you come up with an astronomical figure for what the US spectrum should be worth today if seen through the UK bidders eyes of 2000. If we just take the population difference we come up with 6 times $44.24 Billion or $265.44 Billion.

So what happened? Did the value or need for cellular spectrum drop by a factor of ten, twenty or more? Or maybe the bidders in Germany and the UK were just crazy back in 2000, something the markets at the time quickly agreed with.

But the demonstration of this thing called TDTV in the UK suggest that others might agree with me that the 700 MHz spectrum in the US is still best suited for broadcasting and will be used for such one way or the other despite power restrictions. AT&T has a lot of spectrum that can use 50kW, channels 54 and 59, and may be buying licenses in the E block, channel 56, which can also use 50 kW. If so and they are successful with a broadcast venture I predict that the FCC will allow the B, A Blocks, channels 52, 53, 57 and 58, to use higher power levels than 5 kW for broadcasting in the future. And I would not rule out the C and D blocks later.

And they could use it for broadcasting at 5 kW IMO which we considered feasible back in 2000.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/feb/12/mobilephones.telecoms?gusrc=rss&feed=technology <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/feb/12/mobilephones.telecoms?gusrc=rss&feed=technology>

http://research.analysys.com/default.asp?Mode=article&iLeftArticle=2071&m=RSS&n= <http://research.analysys.com/default.asp?Mode=article&iLeftArticle=2071&m=RSS&n=>

Bob Miller

--