[opendtv] Re: Sony To Take Viacom Over-The-Top | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:41:17 -0400

On Sep 18, 2014, at 9:34 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> So, you're satisfied with half measures.
>>
>> Satisfied?
>>
>> HELL NO,
>
> Of course you are, or you wouldn't stay stuck with it. Cord cutters exist,
> and yet you insist that adding IP streaming to the bundling model of MVPDs is
> "enhancing" something. Not for the cord cutters, right? Marketing babble.

Yes cord cutters exist Bert. Nobody is claiming otherwise.

There are several important questions to ask with respect this phenomenon.

1. Why are they cutting the cord?
2. Are there enough cord cutters to undermine the financial underpinnings of
the MVPD business model?
3. Are there any signs that the practice of tying high value content to the
bundle is changing?

And yes, adding IP streaming to the bundling model is clearly enhancing the
service offering. How much value subscribers place on this new capability can
certainly be questioned... "Your mileage may vary."

But more important, the availability of content from the bundle via IP
streaming is the first step in an inevitable transition for the MVPDs. Consider
the following:

1. Viewing behavior WRT pre produced content is fundamentally changing. People
do not make appointments to watch this stuff; they are increasingly expecting
to access it on demand. This will inevitably lead to IP delivery as the MVPDs
make BOTH live streams and network libraries available for VOD consumption.

2. Consumers now own tens of millions of second screens capable of viewing TV
content via IP networks RATHER THAN a MVPD set top box. The MVPDs are embracing
this, both the cable AND the DBS operators. The cable MVPDs are well positioned
to migrate their customers to IP video delivery, as they are the dominant
provider of high speed broadband. While some customers may be cutting the cord
on the video side, there is significant growth in broadband subscribers.

3. The cable industry is deploying hundreds of thousands of WiFi hot spots to
allow their subscribers to access the Internet when they are away from home.
This supports the TV Everywhere initiative, and is ultimately going to lead to
direct competition with the telcos for voice and messaging services.

>> Pay attention Bert.
>>
>> HBO IS NOT part of the bundle.
>
> Sorry, you're right. I had misread that, because in my book, HBO IS part of
> an MVPD bundle, and yes, as you say, it is adapting. HBO is adapting because
> it too, like ESPN, has been LOSING VIEWERSHIP.

Unlike ESPN, HBO is the victim of rapidly evolving technology.

When the service started, it was appointment theater. This came in parallel
with VHS release of movies, for which you had to drive to a store to buy or
rent the movie. It had the additional advantage that new movies were released
on HBO before they were released on tape. With the proliferation of DVRs it
became possible to record desired movies and watch them on demand. This was
good for "planners," but no help for spontaneous viewing.  Adding to their
woes, DBS duplicated their appointment model with pay per view movies, and
cable soon followed.

The salvation for HBO was their entry into original programming, which provided
the same incentive to subscribe to HBO that sports fans have for subscribing to
the bundle to get ESPN.

Now viewers expect to be able to access movies and TV programs on demand via IP
streaming. Netflix changed the landscape - they even buy older content from
HBO.

HBO must move to a IP streaming model to survive. They no longer get an
advantage from their MVPD affiliation OTHER THAN having the MVPD collect the
monthly subscriber fee. This is now easy to do via a web portal and the
customers credit card.

As I noted yesterday, ESPN may be losing viewership for many reasons.
Competition is certainly a factor as Fox and NBC are investing heavily in their
own sports networks. Seasonality and periodic events like the Olympics and
World Cup are also a factor.

For many viewers, however, ESPN the primary reason they subscribe to the
bundle, especially this time of year. News is probably next. The sticky part
can be described in one word...

LIVE

Their service is growing in value to advertisers, who are seeing the declining
effectiveness of ad supported content, which can now be accessed on demand...

WITHOUT ADS

>> But the pace of cord cutting IS not accelerating.
>
> Because Craig said so. Even if it remains steady, it accumulates over time,
> Craig.

As I have said repeatedly. Please let me know when less than 50% of U.S. Homes
subscribe to an MVPD service.