[opendtv] Re: Sony To Take Viacom Over-The-Top | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 01:49:21 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> You don't compete by offering, and charging for, more than the
>> customer wants.
>
> Really????
>
> The MVPDs have been doing this for nearly three decades. I'll concede
> that this is not competition, but that's the point.

And that's why people are cutting the cord, and why organizations like HBO and
ESPN are exploring new models. We seem to go around in the usual circles.

> The DBS systems did it; Verizon and AT&T did it. Even Google Fiber
> is doing it.

I don't know about Google Fiber, but the others are just legacy broadcast
systems. Verizon FiOS TV is just a broadcast system, except for the VOD portion
of it. These are all legacy systems.

This is changing, Craig. That's what John Skipper and what HBO are talking
about. I don't understand why I have to keep repeating myself, even after
quoting articles to you on this subject.

> What makes you think the content owners are willing to let Sony,
> or Verizon, or AT&T actually compete with MVPDs who are locked
> into the bundle?

BECAUSE THEY ARE SAYING SO. The content owners are.