[opendtv] Re: 247wallst.com: Pay TV Shows Troubling Subscriber Trends

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 01:59:28 +0000

> In principle, I think that *if* the OTA broadcasters got MVPD carriage
> *and* all of the ad revenue from their ads, they could still have
> survived. Even without retrains consent.

Sorry for the autocorrect nuisance. Retrans consent.

To elaborate slightly, if broadcasters were only given must carry and the
revenue from all of the ad breaks, when they're on MVPDs, I think they could
still have remained afloat. The broadcasters benefit from this free carriage,
and the MVPDs benefit from the highest rated content.

Of course, then you wonder why the congloms can't just feed their valuable
content to the cable headends via satellite or something, but that's another
story.

As we have discussed already, the FCC seems to think of the broadcasters as
being the primary creators of content. Which is really weird.