[opendtv] Re: Sony To Take Viacom Over-The-Top | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 01:34:30 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The congloms are not holding onto "technology restrictions of the past.
> They are holding onto a lucrative business model and using the
> technology transition of which you speak to enhance that model.

Craig, you got totally lost in your voluminous verbiage, only to repeat the
same thing. "Enhance the model" is marketing babble.

>> So, you're satisfied with half measures.
>
> Satisfied?
>
> HELL NO,

Of course you are, or you wouldn't stay stuck with it. Cord cutters exist, and
yet you insist that adding IP streaming to the bundling model of MVPDs is
"enhancing" something. Not for the cord cutters, right? Marketing babble.

> Pay attention Bert.
>
> HBO IS NOT part of the bundle.

Sorry, you're right. I had misread that, because in my book, HBO IS part of an
MVPD bundle, and yes, as you say, it is adapting. HBO is adapting because it
too, like ESPN, has been LOSING VIEWERSHIP.

> So you are basing this on real competition - from new sports networks -
> and the loss of MVPD subscribers, many of which did not watch ESPN in
> the first place.

It's simple. I said ESPN's John Skipper is having to adapt, and is doing so.
You asked, where did you dream that up? And I answered with the article from
NYT (which you should already have read, btw, since I had already cited it).
They are losing subscriptions, perhaps from cable cutters mostly, although some
cable systems charge for ESPN separately, and they are losing viewership
ratings too. So you cannot just dismiss that as only basic cord cutting,
although even that matters to ESPN too!

> But the pace of cord cutting IS not accelerating.

Because Craig said so. Even if it remains steady, it accumulates over time,
Craig.