[opendtv] Re: Sony To Take Viacom Over-The-Top | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 01:43:11 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So it looks like the next big thing will be the ability to get your
> MVPD bundle OTT, without the cable or DBS subscription.

Sorry, Craig. Another overly-vague assessment of what's happening.

First, in the article you copied, did you catch this statistic?

"While cord-cutting remains a small but growing threat to the traditional
pay-TV industry, 84% of U.S. homes still subscribe to some form of pay
television, and 35% of households that don't take pay-TV have never subscribed
to a pay-TV service, according to a recent study from Leichtman Research Group."

The 84 percent is likely overstated, from what we've seen in other articles
recently. But the more significant stat is that 65 percent, a comfortable
majority, of those who aren't paying for TV are in fact cord cutters. Said
another way, 2 out of 3 people who don't subscribe to an MVPD are cord cutters,
rather than cord-nevers. I very much doubt that the ESPNs and the Viacoms of
this world have missed that stat. Did you miss it?

(And we had already seen some time ago that broadband subscriptions had
overtaken MVPD subscriptions.)

So the take-away here is not some broad brush "MVPD migrating to the Internet,"
but rather that the content owners have come to understand that something more
flexible is needed to keep people watching their content. If it were a simple
matter of repeating the previous business model on the Internet, quelle
surprise, the viewership of pay-TV would continue to drop. Just as ESPN is
considering its options, so is Viacom. And just as it's obvious to me that this
Internet TV game is different, it seems to be just as obvious to the Dish
Network. As I said before, the MVPDs need to reinvent themselves as OTT
services.

Sony will offer something different from Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc. And they
will compete head to head everywhere, or at least anywhere in the US. Hardly
just "the MVPD bundle OTT."

Bert

----------------------
http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-apps/sony-take-viacom-over-top/383701

Sony To Take Viacom Over-The-Top

Sony's coming "virtual" pay-TV service took a step closer to the real Wednesday
as the CE giant and Viacom announced that they have inked a distribution deal
that covers "at least" 22 Viacom cable channels at launch, as well as access
the Viacom's full on-demand package.

Sony, like Dish Network and others, is developing a broadband-fed services
tailored to reach younger demographic sets, including so-called cord-cutters
and consumers who have never taken a pay-TV service. While cord-cutting remains
a small but growing threat to the traditional pay-TV industry, 84% of U.S.
homes still subscribe to some form of pay television, and 35% of households
that don't take pay-TV have never subscribed to a pay-TV service, according to
a recent study from Leichtman Research Group. LRG also found that the number of
U.S. cable broadband subs surpassed cable pay-TV subs for the first time in the
second quarter of 2014.

The distribution deal between Sony and the Viacom comes after Viacom CEO
Philippe Dauman predicted last year at a UBS conference that there was a "very
strong chance" that a virtual MVPD would be announced in 2014

At the Consumer Electronics Show in January, Sony announced that it intended to
start testing an OTT pay-TV service sometime in 2014. In June, Shawn Layden,
president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America, told Re/code that the
service, which he billed as "revolutionary,"  was "on track" to debut sometime
later in the year "in some capacity."

Sony hasn't announced a launch date for the cloud-based TV service, only noting
Wednesday that more details about it will be announced "in the near future."

"Our new cloud-based TV service will combine the live TV content people love
most about cable with the dynamic experience they have come to expect from our
network," Andrew House, group executive for Sony's Network Entertainment
Business, said in a statement. "Viacom's award-winning networks are a perfect
match for our new service, ensuring that our customers will be able to access
the shows they love on their favorite devices, when and how they choose."

Thanks to the Viacom deal, Sony's coming service will have access to BET, CMT,
Comedy Central. MTV, MTV2, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Nicktoons, Spike, TV Land,
VH1, BET Gospel, Centric, Logo, CMT Pure Country, MTV Hits, MTV Jams, mtvU,
Palladia, TeenNick, and Vh1 Classic. The Viacom-Sony deal also includes
authenticated TV Everywhere rights. Viacom currently offers TV Everywhere apps
from Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, CMT and Logo.

Dish Network is also working on an internet based TV service and has signed up
Walt Disney Co. and A+E Networks.

"Viacom always strives to create transformational opportunities that combine
consumer value and technological innovation," Dauman said, in a statement.
"Given our young, tech-savvy audiences, our networks are essential for any new
distribution platform, and we're excited to be among the many programmers that
will help power Sony's new service and advance a new era for television."

Dish Network is also developing a virtual MVPD service that, based on recent
trademark filings, might carry the brand "nutv."

Dish Network chairman Charlie Ergen said last month that he expects to launch a
single-stream OTT offering by the end of the year. Dish has already secured
digital streaming rights with Walt Disney Co. and A+E Networks.

Intel Media pursued a virtual MVPD offering, secured its programming
distribution rights, but got cold feet and opted to drop out and sell its
"OnCue" assets to Verizon Communications.