[opendtv] Re: Opinion: Mobile TV's New Free Market Economy

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:13:27 -0400

Mark Aitken wrote:

> C/N margin is but one (1) of the requirements
> to receive a signal...

True. Another important factor is min power density, but even there, single
carrier schemes do well. Ultimate echo tolerance is certainly still favoring
OFDM or CDMA, however, although that comes at a price (spectrum efficiency).

> many other 'factors' determine an ability to provide
> service...and many of THOSE are NOT technical.

Ain't that the truth.

One thing that I don't buy is the notion that by definition, TV or radio over
the Internet will be ad-free. I don't understand how that can possibly be the
case in the long run.

Services like Pandora are now "free," but they depend on visual ads on their
web site to provide the revenue. Well, how long can it take advertizers to
realize that when people listen to Internet radio, either on their PCs or via
their cell phones, they aren't going to be staring at the computer screen?

I think this is no different from satellite radio, in the sense that it can
only be ad-free for a period of time, and then either the subscription fee has
to go up and up, or ads creep in (as they have on satellite radio).

For that matter, I enjoy very much my HD Radio, and as far as I have
experienced, ALL of the music multicasts are ad-free. I guess, they figure
that's a good draw, until a significant audience exists for the digital
subchannels. I would hardly expect ad-free subchannels for all time.