[opendtv] Re: Opinion: Mobile TV's New Free Market Economy

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:10:14 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Doesn't almost everything except 8-VSB and M/H? I was
> responding to the antenna on each ear for mobile 8-VSB or
> M/H reception I thought.

You need an antenna for COFDM just as you do for QAM or VSB. The shape
and size are more a function of wavelength than anything else.

In the early days of 8T-VSB, it was the p*ss-poor multipath compensation
performance of the receivers that made it seem like VSB required a
different antenna, or more accurate aim, or whatever. Those days are
gone, at least for the better receivers.

Besides which, when John Shutt receives XM-Radio, as far as I know, ALL
he is getting is QPSK, single frequency, from the satellite. No COFDM.
Or do you guys have terrestrial stations in Lansing these days, John?