[opendtv] Re: News: Reps. Barton, Stearns Offer Alternative DTV Bill

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:45:56 -0800

?? letter boxed and pillarboxed means that the encoder was set incorrectly.
And, I wonder why you not only use the term anamorphic, but -- assuming that
you mean that the sar doesn't match the dar, just why you think that should
be called anamorphic, since the term doesn't apply and isn't present in any
standard that I know of, at least in this context.

But, just what test equipment do you possess or have access to that permits
you to compare the sar to the dar?

You are not only using terms again that you don't understand, you are making
conclusions based on your lack of understanding of these terms, based on a
complete lack of datapoints.

For something to be seen letterboxed and pillarboxed on a 16:9 screen, it
can't be sdtv, unless some very unusual "production" (not distribution)
formats are used.

I've not only seen US, but I've looked at the bit streams.  It's 720 (for
the most part), and indeed I see it on a channel with 1080i content.  I've v
never seen them show anamorphic content, which would require stretching.

John Willkie