[opendtv] Re: News: Reps. Barton, Stearns Offer Alternative DTV Bill

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 16:43:18 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> For example, it's hard for me to accept that the CBS, ABC,
>> and NBC stations here can only muster up enough creative
>> thinking to EACH offer a weather channel on their -2 multicast.
>> Surely, that can be improved.
>
> Yesterday you asked why the networks would use their news
> divisions to produce cheap prime-time programming?

I did? Here is the quote I think you are talking about:

----------------------
What I don't understand is this:

"These decreases were partially offset by lower programming costs at the
ABC Television Network due to a lower cost mix of programming including
a shift of hours from primetime to news."

I thought the news departments were the biggest cost.
-----------------------

> Now you suggest that it is wasteful for local stations to
> duplicate weather information that they are using for their
> news programming on a sub-channel. So the truth comes out that
> may of your extra channels are largely duplicative or mostly
> worthless.

The truth comes out? If you read what people write, you would understand
what they are saying. I made it plain from way back that the multicasts
are not used effectively. My point has always been, your complaints
about the infrastructure are unfounded, and vague, and have little to do
with the lack of popularity of US OTA TV. The program mix could easily
be improved.

Advertizers would pay more attention, IMO, if they saw a program mix
that was likely to attract viewers. -->But that might take revenue away
from MVPDs.<-- And that, to me, is the main issue here. None of the
stuff you reapeat about infrastructure.